It’s that time of year again … Halloween! And I’ve noticed that a lot of people have been searching for an Audrey Hepburn costume, so here’s everything you need all in one convenient post. Since most women tend to do Holly Golightly as an easily recognizable Audrey costume, most of these tips are Breakfast at Tiffany’s oriented. The film was recently voted the most stylish film of all time, so it’s hard to go wrong as Holly Golightly!
1. The hair. A lot of people think that Audrey’s iconic “pineapple ‘do,” that massive updo from the beginning of Breakfast at Tiffany’s, is almost impossible to do by yourself. But this step-by-step tutorial shows that it’s actually quite easy and possible for almost any hair length. You might need a lot of hair pins and hairspray, especially if your hair tends to be fine, but it’s definitely achievable. Ask a friend for help if you have trouble; what friend could resist dressing you up as Audrey Hepburn?
2. The makeup. Recently makeup artist askmemakeup posted a video tutorial on how to do Holly Golightly’s makeup. It’s very good and true to Audrey Hepburn’s real makeup both on and offset, so whether you’re doing Holly or Audrey you’re in good hands with this video.
3. The accessories. What’s an Audrey Hepburn costume without a tiara? And not just any old tiara will do, my dear. Luckily, Tiaratown offers very good replicas of some of Audrey’s most iconic jewelry pieces, from Breakfast at Tiffany’s to My Fair Lady, and even Funny Face. Available in both gold and silver finishes, these tiaras and necklaces are beautiful enough to wear anytime, not just on Halloween.
Sunglasses. You can’t be Audrey Hepburn without some fabulous, oversized sunglasses now, can you? Audrey’s top choice in shades were the iconic Ray-Ban Wayfarers, but they may be out of your price range for the time being. Not to worry, though! The Wayfarers are so enduringly popular that they’ve spawned tons of knockoffs, all much more affordable and all still good looking. You can get good knockoffs starting at just over $2, if you know where to look.
*Bonus: While you may not feel comfortable parading around in nothing but a men’s tuxedo shirt and an outrageous sleep mask in the middle of autumn, you can still get an excellent replica of Holly Golightly’s sleep mask. You know, for personal use.
4. The dress.* If you’re very crafty, you could sew your own dress, but you’d probably have to either make your own pattern or modify an existing one to get what you want. If you’re not so crafty, or you’re just running out of time, then it’s probably just easier to buy a dress off the rack. It’s completely up to you whether you want to go long and formal or do an easier little black dress, but shop around before deciding! Remember that Audrey was known for simple and elegant LBDs, so less is always more. Try to stick with knee-length, maybe with a nice boatneck, since that was Audrey’s preferred neckline. Any local boutique should have what you’re looking for.
Well, that should be everything you need. If I’ve forgotten something or you have any further questions, please feel free to leave a comment and I’ll be happy to help. Have fun!
*Update: I’ve added a second section with even more costume tips and tricks here. This entry includes opera gloves, jewelry, dresses, cigarette holders, and more!
- Sewing patterns for Audrey costumes of all sorts and sizes can be found in this guide.
- And to add a little touch of Audrey the humanitarian to your Audrey as a fashion icon costume, click here.
- As long as you’re going to be Audrey for Halloween, why not enter our contest and get a free book or DVD out of it? See details here
The How to be Audrey Hepburn/Holly Golightly for Halloween by The Fabulous Audrey Hepburn, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.