If you missed it the first time around, here’s part one of the costume tips. I’ve found even more great items to put together a really fantastic Audrey Hepburn or Holly Golightly costume, so keep reading!
1. Opera gloves. How could you forget opera gloves? If you’d really like to look classy, try to find some above the elbow length gloves, which make for a more formal, elegant look. I’ve found some beautiful satin gloves in a vast array of colours, so you can do black for Holly Golightly or white/cream for a Princess Ann or Eliza Doolittle look.
2. Ballet flats. You can pair pretty much everything with ballet flats and automatically be 50% cuter. Works well with any little black dress and is a more comfortable alternative to heels, especially if you’re going to be on your feet all night. Paired with some capris or skinny pants, it looks more stylish and put together than sneakers but not as fancy as heels would. They were Audrey’s shoe of choice throughout her life!
3. Little black dresses. Earlier I had left you on your own by telling you to hit the pavement and shop around at local boutiques. Wasn’t very helpful, was it? After lots of scouring, I’ve found a few little black dresses that happen to be affordable and the perfect Audrey style. You can either do a shorter, knee-length dress for a more casual affair, or I’ve found a longer formal gown if you really wanted to go all out and do the beginning credits Holly Golightly with pearls, updo and a cup of coffee (which I am completely leaving up to you to find).
4. Pearls. I honestly don’t know if anyone makes an exact replica of Audrey’s multi-strand pearl necklace with the rhinestone pendant, but what you can do is nab a strand of long pearls and a rhinestone brooch. Wind the pearls around a couple of time to make a thick multi-strand set like Holly’s, pin the pendant front and center and voila! Instant Holly Golightly.
5. Cigarette holder. I don’t know about you, but I know quite a few people (myself included) that have been looking for a cigarette holder for ages! Today I’ve found two that would suit Audrey Hepburn equally well. The first is an extra long gold ciggie holder, just like the one she waves around at her out of control party in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. The second is a smaller, black holder, and may be a bit easier to handle in crowded situations. It’s also the sort of ciggie holder she used in real life.
*Bonus* To go along with your fabulous cigarette holder, you can also have fake cigarettes that smoke like the real thing!
6. Skinny black pants and a turtleneck. Who says you have to be Holly Golightly to be Audrey Hepburn? Thanks to the exposure of the Gap commercials last year, pretty much everyone knows that an all black beatnik outfit with white socks and black loafers equals a funky dancing Audrey Hepburn as Jo Stockton. This costume is so versatile and comfortable it will quickly become a wardrobe staple.
You can find more pictures of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly here, and pictures of Audrey as Jo Stockton in Funny Face here.
You can also find all of the accessories listed above, plus the items mentioned in the first costume post, here.
Edit: Updated 7/9/10 to fix broken or obsolete links and to update the products available to you. Everything is still available through FabAudrey’s shop.